Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Better Late than never

29th of may 2007

Sorry for the late entry, but I have been out of service for a while. It seemed that my foot was broken after all and I needed an operation. I have had the operation and was in the Rahuna hospital in Galle for a week. Now I am back in Hikka with a half plastered foot and medicin. Still not able to do much and stuck to the bed most time of the day, but luckily I have nice people around me that take care of me.

Museum wise it is also a bit quiet, cause the son and brother of the family that take care of the museum died last week. He was working in the navy and got killed by an LTT attack last week. He was 30 and his wife was 24 an has a 3 year old child. The funeral was last sunday. It was pretty sad and impressive. It looked like whole Telwatte had come. Any way he is now barried on museum ground and I wish the family all the best for the coming period.

Incidents like this make you realize that the conflict not only affects the north and the east but whole Sri Lanka. The southern district is a poor part of the country so nearly every one has a family member in de navy, airforce or army. Besides war accidents the rate of traffic accidents has been very high as well lately. And also criminals seems to kill eachother quite a lot lately. Looks like death is becoming a daily thing and I wish it was different, but what to do?

At the moment I am trying to get back my energy and with a bit of luck I will be flying home on 6/7th of june. Although I really like being here and feel very at home, I love the thought of having some fresh air, nice sandwiches, cool glass of fresh milk and seeing my family, friends and my dog again.

Any way hope to talk to you soon again,

Bye for now,
Jacky



Navy gun salute for last respect



Navy officials give the wife his belongings

Navy man Salute

His son salute



The family









Kumara de Silva age 30

Boedhist water ritual

Father and son

No comments: